Announcing The Cre8sian Project Scholarship for the 2020-2021 School Year!
The Cre8sian Project was founded as a way to give back to the community while empowering Asian women around the world by developing female superhero characters that envelop qualities of a strong, superhero-like woman: Determination, Concentration, Motivation, and Education. This brand is about recognizing diversity in the arts, emphasizing that representation matters, and empowering women in the arts and beyond!
The Cre8sian Project Scholarship, through Positively Arts and in partnership with “In Her Purpose,” is open to female high school students attending public, private, or home school with an interest in the arts, have some asian heritage, and live in Clark County, Nevada. Students who are involved in any aspects in the arts, not just performance, are encouraged to apply. This can include writers, photographers, filmmakers, technical stage crew (carpentry, props, lighting, automation, audio, set design, stage managers), artists, graphic designers, directors, acrobats, singers, dancers, musicians, composers, arrangers, etc.
Interested students should submit:
- An essay talking about:
- Your journey in the arts and why the arts are important to you
- Describe any short term or long term goals or plans you have (even if you do not plan to pursue a career in the arts)
- Talk about any volunteer or community work you have done in the past year and why it is meaningful to you
- Talk about a challenge you encountered, and how you overcame it
- How your Asian heritage has influenced your life
** You do not necessarily need to write lengthy answers to all of these questions if some do not apply to you as much as others, but please feel free to elaborate more on the ones that do.
- Any samples of your work. This can include photos, videos (youtube video links only), scripts, scores, interviews, etc. Students involved in technical theater who may not have portfolios can submit stage plots, call sheets, blocking sheets, or anything you can put together that shows your initiative, ability to organize or lead, or your creativity in your field.
- A letter of recommendation from a teacher, community leader, or industry professional you study, work with, or recently worked with that can speak to your skills and work ethic.
Students will be judged on their skills, initiative, involvement in their community, and dedication to their artform.
Judges for The Cre8sian Project Scholarships are:
Angela Chan, Musician and Founder of The Cre8sian Project
Pilita Simpson, Vocalist and President of Positively Arts
Rose Buado, Business Mentor & Success Coach, CEO of RVNB & Co-Author of In Her Purpose
Jennifer Redondo-Marquez, Management Consultant and Co-Author of In Her Purpose
TWO winners will receive a $500 scholarship for the 2020-2021 academic school year (to be received in two payments, one in the fall and one in the spring), swag from the Cre8sian Project store, a feature in the Amazing Asians in the Arts blog, a copy of "In Her Purpose," a copy of "In Her Purpose," a book about community, culture, and family, and a 45 minute Career and Purpose Checkup session from female Asian entrepreneur team Jennifer Redondo-Marquez & Rose Buado!
The winners will also be required to participate in five activities with Positively Arts throughout the school year. This year, because of the pandemic, these requirements may be fulfilled virtually (as opposed to in person events) so that we may maintain the highest safety standards possible. Activities may include participating in the Happy Note Challenge, Happy Dance Videos, Thank You Videos, script writing, designing graphics for various events, etc, OR the student may choose to create their own community project to work with Positively Arts on which may fulfill some or all of the activity requirements, as long as it is in line with Positively Arts’s principles, which uses the arts to empower, inspire, educate, and heal, and gets approval from Pilita Simpson and Angela Chan.
If you have any questions or to request an application form, please contact Angela Chan at email@example.com.
Please submit your application and submission materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight on Oct 14, 2020. The winners will be announced on October 21 right here on The Cre8sian Project website!
** Update 10/12/20 If applicants have most of their materials ready to submit by the due date but are waiting on their letter of recommendation to be sent, they may still submit their materials and include a note that their LoR will be submitted separately.